- Energy is the ability to do work.
- Joules are the international currency.
- A joule equals one watt-second.
- A British Thermal Unit (Btu) = 1,055 joules.
- One kilowatt (kWh) hour = 3,412 Btu.
- One therm = 100,000 Btu.
- One calorie = 4.184 joules.
- One dietary calorie = 1,000 calories.
- KWH and therms are important for consumers –units for electric and gas bills.
- Natural Gas
- Our standard of living is intimately tied to our consumption of fossil fuels
- Our standard of living has serious environmental implications
- Air pollution
- Ozone Particles
- Acid Rain
- Climate Change
- Water use
- Land use
- Habitat Fragmentation